Computer Science is the systematic study of algorithmic processes that describe and transform information: their theory, analysis, design, efficiency, implementation, and application. The fundamental question underlying all of computing is: What can efficiently be automated?
Computer Science is far more than programming. It incorporates the paradigms of theory (mathematical), abstraction (experimental), and design (engineering) within many topic areas, including:
- algorithms, data structures
- artificial intelligence (AI) and robotics
- bioinformatics and systems biology
- computer systems
- computational science
- databases, data analytics, and data mining
- high-performance computing
- human-computer communication
- programming languages
- software engineering
UT’s computer science program is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.