Skip to content

Facilities Services

The Min H. Kao building (MHK) is maintained by the UT Facilities Services Department in coordination with EECS staff. If you are new to UTK and MHK, please take the time to review information about Emergency Preparedness, Personal Safety, and Occupational Safety (Accidents, Chemical Safety, Fire Safety and Laboratory Safety) at The Campus Safety website and the information below. Registration with UT ALERT is highly recommended.

Personal Safety Emergencies

If you have a problem that is an immediate threat to personal safety while on campus:
Make a voice telephone call to 911 or the University of Tennessee Police Department (UTPD) Campus Emergency number at 865-974-3111; or 4-3111 (on-campus).

Both 865-974-3111 and 911 are acceptable to call for on-campus emergencies. 865-974-3111 is best if just police are needed and 911 works best for all other types of emergencies.

  • 865-974-3111 goes directly to UTPD dispatch where UTPD officers can be immediately sent. UTPD will contact other first responders as needed.
  • 911 will directly dispatch first responders (fire, medical, hazmat) and will contact UTPD and other appropriate police departments.

If making an emergency call from a wireless (cellular) phone:

  • Tell the emergency operator the location of the emergency right away.
  • Provide the emergency operator with your wireless telephone number, so if the call gets disconnected, the emergency operator can call you back.

Weather-related Safety Preparedness

Think about where you would seek shelter during a real severe weather or tornado warning. Take a moment to determine where the nearest appropriate shelter is to your current location.

Follow the UT Knoxville Snapchat account (utknoxville) for more tips on tornado safety.

Facility Problems

Examples of facility problems unrelated to personal safety include loss of electrical power to one or more circuits, loss of heating/cooling, plumbing leaks, and smoke/fire in the mulch beds outside the building.

To report campus facility emergencies (24 hours a day, any day of the year), please call

  1. Facilities Services “One Call” number at 865-946-7777; or 6-7777 (on-campus).
  2. If the “One Call” call is not answered call the University of Tennessee Police Department (UTPD) Campus Emergency number at 865-974-3111; or 4-3111 (on-campus).

After contacting Facilities Services or UTPD, please notify the EECS department staff by emailing or by using the Facilities Services Request Form below.

Building Access Problems

  • MHK perimeter and interior access must be requested through the EECS or CURENT business offices.
  • MHK electronic security (Volcard/magnetic card readers) is controlled by the University of Tennessee Police Department (UTPD) Central Alarm department. If your ID does not open a perimeter or interior door, contact the Central Alarm monitoring center at 865-974-0808; or 4-0808 (on-campus). A UTPD officer will come to your location, check your UT ID, verify that you have access, and open the door.
  • Report problems with key and magnetic swipe card access using the Making a Facilities Request form below.

Audio Visual (A/V) Problems

  • The Office of Information Technology provides rapid response during classroom hours for UT Registrar-controlled classrooms. This includes MHK Classroom Wing rooms 404, 405, 406, 534, 535, 622 and 623. Contact 865-974-9110; or 4-9110 (on-campus) at the earliest sign of trouble. A dedicated staff of engineers will quickly respond to the request. Reference: Technology Enhanced Classrooms Troubleshooting Tips for SMART Board and Sympodium
  • For problems with classrooms, teaching labs, conference rooms inside the MHK main building contact the EECS IT staff at 865-974-2735.

Facilities Services Request Form

Please use the web form below for submitting non-emergency facilities requests through the EECS department. The request will be routed to the appropriate Facilities Services department.

  • If you are a student or visitor, please provide your advisor’s or supervisor’s name.
  • Enter a phone number where you can be reached during business hours (8am-5pm, M-F).
  • Enter the specific room number or area that needs service.
  • Enter a short description of the type of service that is requested.
  • Enter a detailed description of the problem or work to be done.
  • Please use your UTK email address
  • Drop files here or
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System and partner in the Tennessee Transfer Pathway.