- Office Address: Min H. Kao Building, Room 610
- Phone: 865-974-8398
- Fax: 865-974-5483
- E-mail: email@example.com
Download Curriculum Vitae
Bose held the Condra Chair of Excellence (Endowed Chair Professor) in Power Electronics at UT since 1987, where he was responsible for teaching and the research program in power electronics and motor drives. Concurrently, he was the Distinguished Scientist (1989-2000) and the Chief Scientist (1987-1989) of EPRI-Power Electronics Applications Center, Knoxville, TN. Prior to this, he was a Research Engineer in the General Electric Corporate Research and Development (now GE Global Research Center), Schenectady, NY, for 11 years (1976-1987), an Associate Professor of Electrical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY for five years (1971-1976), and a faculty member at Bengal Engineering and Science University (BESU)(formerly Bengal Engineering College), India for 11 years (1960-1971). He is specialized in power electronics and motor drives area, and has given extensive contributions in power converters, PWM techniques, electric/hybrid vehicle drives, microprocessor/DSP control, system simulation, renewable energy systems, and application of artificial intelligence techniques (expert system, fuzzy logic and neural network) in power electronics and drives systems. He served as a visiting professor in Federal University of Mato Grosso Sul (1989), Brazil; Aalborg University (1997), Denmark; Padova University (2003), Italy; Sevilla University (2008), Spain; and European PhD School (2010), Italy. He has been power electronics consultant in a large number of industries. Dr. Bose has authored and co-authored more than 250 papers and holds 21 U.S. patents. He has authored/edited seven books in power electronics: Power Electronics and Motor Drives – Advances and Trends (Elsevier/Academic Press, 2006), Modern Power Electronics and AC Drives (Prentice-Hall, 2001), Power Electronics and AC Drives (Prentice-Hall, 1986), Power Electronics and Variable Frequency Drives (Wiley/IEEE Press, 1997), Modern Power Electronics (IEEE Press, 1992), Microcomputer Control of Power Electronics and Drives (IEEE Press, 1987), and Adjustable Speed AC Drive Systems (IEEE Press, 1981). The books have been translated in several foreign languages. “Dr. Bimal K. Bose: A Reference for Generations – globally promoted power electronics, not only by his research publications and books, but also through his endless tutorial presentations, invited seminars, IEEE Distinguished Lectures and keynote addresses throughout the world” – comments IEEE IES Magazine Editor (June 2009). The IEEE IE Society Magazine (June 2009) honored him by publishing a “Special Issue Honoring Dr. Bimal Bose and Celebrating His Contributions in Power Electronics” with his photo on front cover.
Bose has served the IEEE in various capacities, including Member of the IEEE Awards Board, Member of the IEEE Medal in Power Engineering Committee, Chairman of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society (IES) Power Electronics Council, Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, IEEE IECON Power Electronics Chairman, Chairman of the IEEE Industry Applications Society (IAS) Industrial Power Converter Committee, IAS Member of the Neural Network Council, Vice-Chair of the IEEE Medals Council, Vice-Chair of the IAS Distinguished Lecture Program, Member of IEEE-USA Energy Policy Committee, Member of the IEEE Fellow Committee, Member of IEEE Lamme Medal Committee, Member of the Editorial Board of the Proceedings of the IEEE, and Member of IEEE Spectrum Advisory Board. He was the Guest Editor of the Proceedings of the IEEE (Special Issue of Power Electronics and Motion Control, August 1994), and Special Section Editor of IEEE Transactions of Industrial Electronics (Neural Network Applications in Power Electronics and Motor Drives, February 2006). Dr. Bose has B.E. degree in 1956 from BESU, India, M.S. degree in 1960 from University of Wisconsin, Madison,, and D. Phil degree in 1966 from Calcutta University.
Among his many philanthropic activities, he donated the IETE (Institute of Electronics and Tele-Communications Engineers, India) Power Electronics Award, BESU Distinguished Lecture Award, and 32 scholarships with library, seminar hall and open stage for his village school. He also contributed for EECS and village development programs in India.
Awards and Recognitions
- 2018: Lifetime Achievement Award by IIEST Alumni Association of North America
- 2017: Elected Member of National Academy of Engineering “for contributions to advancing power electronics technology and power conversion and education”
- 2015: Dr. Bimal Bose Energy Systems Award established by IEEE Industrial Electronics Society and funded by IES and IEEE Foundation
- 2013: Bengal Engineering and Science University Doctor of Science Degree (Honoris Causa) from the President of India “in recognition of Outstanding Contribution in Engineering and Dedicated Service to The Nation”
- 2006: Bengal Engineering and Science University Distinguished Alumnus Award “for Outstanding Contribution to the Profession and the Alma Mater”
- 2005: IEEE* Power Electronics Society William W. Newell Award “for Outstanding Achievements in the Interdisciplinary Field of Power Electronics”
- 2003: Guest Professor of Huazhong University of Science and Technology, China
- 2000: IEEE* Millennium Medal “for Outstanding Contributions in Power Electronics”
- 1998: Honorary Professor (and Honorary Director of Elec. Eng. Inst.) of Xi’an Mining Institute, China
- 1997: IEEE* Meritorious Achievement Award in Continuing Education “for Exemplary and Sustained Contributions to Continuing Education”
- 1996: IEEE* Lamme Gold Medal (1996) “for Contributions to the advancement of Power Electronics and Electrical Machine Drives”
- 1996: IEEE* Life Fellow (1996) (Fellow in 1989) “for Contributions in Power Electronics and Drives Technology”
- 1996: Honorary Professor of China University of Mining and Technology, China (1996)
- 1994: IEEE* Industrial Electronics Society Dr. Eugene Mittelmann Award “in Recognition of Outstanding Contributions to Research and Development in the Field of Power Electronics and Life Time Achievement in the Area of Motor Drives”
- 1994: IEEE* Region 3 Outstanding Engineer Award “for Outstanding Achievements in Power Electronics and Drives Technology “
- 1993: IEEE* Industry Applications Society Outstanding Achievement Award “for Outstanding Contributions in the Applications of Electricity to Industry”
- 1991: Honorary Professor of Shanghai University, China
- 1986: GE Silver Patent Medal
- 1985: GE Publications Award
- 1970: Calcutta University Mouat Gold Medal and Premchand Roychand Scholar “for Research Contribution in Magnetic Amplifiers and Industrial Electronics”
- Distinguished Lecturer of IEEE*– Industry Applications Society
- Distinguished Lecturer of IEEE* – Industrial Electronics Society
- Four – Prize paper awards
- 2013: “Global Energy scenario and impact of power electronics in 21st century”, IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electronics, vol. 60, July.
- 2009: “The Past, Present and Future of Power Electronics”, IEEE Industrial Electronics Magazine, vol.3, pp. 7-11, June.
- 2009: “Power Electronics and Motor Drives” –Recent Progress and Perspective”, IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electronics”, vol. 56, pp. 581-588. Feb.
- 2007: “Neural network applications in power electronics and motor drives”, IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electronics, vol. 54, pp. 14-33. Feb.
- 2004: “A neural network based space vector PWM of a five-level voltage-fed inverter”, IEEE IAS Annu. Meet. Conf. Rec. (with N. Filho, J. Pinto and L. da Silva)
- 2004: “Neural network based waveform processing and delayless filtering in power electronics and ac drives”, IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electronics, vol. 51, pp. 981-991. Oct., (with J. Zhao)
- 2002: “A neural network based space vector PWM controller for a three-level voltage-fed inverter induction motor drive”, IEEE Trans. on Ind. Appl., vol. 38, pp.660-669, May/June, (with S. Mondal and J. Pinto)
- 2000. “Energy, environment and advances in power electronics”, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, vol. 15, pp.688-701, July.
- 1998: “A soft-switched high frequency non-resonant link integral pulse modulated dc-ac converter for ac motor drive”, IEEE IECON Conf. Rec., pp. 716-732. (with L. Hui and B. Ozpineci)
- 1997: “Fuzzy logic based intelligent control of a variable speed cage machine wind generation system”, IEEE Trans. on Power Electronics, vol. 12, pp. 87-95.Jan., (with M. Simoes etc.)
- 1995: “Expert system aided automated design, simulation and controller tuning of ac drive system”, IEEE IECON Conf. Rec., pp.712-718. (with S. Chhaya)
- 1995: “Neural network based estimation of feedback signals for a vector controlled induction motor drive”, IEEE Trans. on Ind. Appl., vol.31, pp.620-609, May/June, (with M. Simoes)
- 1995: “Fuzzy logic based efficiency optimization control of an indirect vector controlled induction motor drive”, IEEE Trans. on Ind. Electronics, vol. 42, pp. 192-198, April, (with G. Sousa and J. Cleland)
- 1994: “A fuzzy set theory based control of a phase controlled converter dc machine drive”, IEEE Trans. on Ind. Appl., vol. 30, pp. 34-44, Jan./Feb. (with G. Sousa)
- 1994: “Investigation of fault modes of voltage-fed inverter system for induction motor drive”, IEEE Trans. on Ind. Appl. , vol.30, pp. 1028-1038, July/Aug.,(with D. Kastha)
- 1994: “Expert system, fuzzy logic, and neural network applications in power electronics and motion control”, Proc. IEEE, vol.82, pp. 1303-1323, Aug.
- 1990. “An adaptive hysteresis band current control technique of a voltage-fed PWM inverter for machine drive system”, IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., vol.37, pp. 402-408, Oct.
- 1988. “A high- performance inverter-fed drive system of an interior permanent magnet synchronous machine”, vol.24, pp. 987-999, Nov./Dec.
- 1985: “A microcomputer based control of residential photovoltaic power conditioning system”, IEEE Trans. on Ind. Appl., vol. 21, pp. 1182-1191, (with R. Steigerwald and P. Szczesny)
- 1977. “High frequency link power conversion”, IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., vol.13, pp.387-393, Sept./Oct. (with P. Espelage)
- 1976. “A frequency step up cycloconverter using power transistors in inverse series mode”, Int’l. Jour. of Electronics, vol.41, pp. 573-587, (with V. Jones)
- “Energy, Environment and Importance of Power Electronics”, 16th WSEAS International Conference, Kos Island, Greece, July 14-17, 2012.
- “Energy Scenario and Impact of Power Electronics in 21ST. Century”, Workshop on Power Electronics in Industrial Applications and Renewable Energy (PEIA2011), Doha, Qatar, November 3-4, 2011.
- “Energy, Global Warming and Power Electronics”, National Power Electronics Conference, Roorkee, India, June 10-13, 2010.
- “Global Warming – How Power Electronics Can Help in Solving the Problem?” IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications, 2009 (ICIEA 2009), Xian, China, May 25-27, 2009.
- “Energy, Global Warming and Power Electronics”, Australian Universities Power Engineering (AAUP) Conference 2009, Adelaide, September 28, 2009.
- “Energy, Environment, and the Advancing Frontier of Power Electronics” The 2nd IASTED Africa Conference on Power and Energy Systems (AfricaPES2008), Gaborone, Botswana, September 2008.
- “Power Electronics – Its Impact on Energy and Environment”, 7th WSEAS International Conference, Venice, Italy, November 21-23, 2007.
- “Energy, Environment and Importance of Power Electronics”, IEEE POWERENG Conf., Lisbon, Portugal, April 2007.
- “Intelligent control and Estimation in Power Electronics and Drives”, Int’l. Power Electronics Congress (CIEP 2006), Cholula, Mexico, October 2006.
- “Global Energy Scenario and Perspectives in Power Electronics”, Int’l. Power Electronics Conference, Busan, Korea, October 2004.
- “Advances in Power Electronics and Drives – Their Impact on Energy and Environment”, IEEE- Int’l. Conf. on Power Electronics, Drives and Energy Systems (PEDES), Perth, Australia, Dec.1998.
- “Energy, Environment and Progress in Power Electronics”, Japan IEE/IAS Conference, Nagaoka, Japan, August 7, 1997.
- “Recent Technology Advances in Power Electronics and Variable Frequency Drives”, IEEE International Power Electronics Congress, San Luis Potosi, Mexico, August 20, 1995.
- “Trends in Power Electronics and Drives Conf. on Industrial Drives”, Rockhampton, Australia, Sept. 18, 1991.
- “Power Electronics – An Emerging Technology”, Intl. Workshop on Role of Univ. In Power Electronics Education and Research (EPRI), Baltimore, July 7, 1989.
- “Power Electronics and Drives – Recent R & D Trends”, First Chinese Academic Conf. on Variable Speed Drives, Beidaihe, China, Aug. 13, 1989.
- “Power Electronics – Present and Future”, Tokyo, Japan IEE/PCIM, Dec. 8, 1989.
- “Trends in Power Electronics and Drives”, Diamond Jubilee of App. Physics Dept, Calcutta University, Calcutta, Jan.2, 1986.
- “Technology Trends in Microcomputer Control of Small Machines”, Intl. Conf. on Microcomputer Control of Small Machines (IEEE IE Society), Venice. Italy, July 14, 1986.
- “Trends in Motion Control Technology”, Applied Motion Control Conf., Minneapolis, June 13, 1985.