CE Power Solutions provides electrical systems solutions for 480V through 765kV electrical systems. We serve electric utility power plants, alternative energy facilities, transmission & distribution substations, industrial facilities, institutional facilities and clients with critical power applications. With a focus on core values of "Always Safe. Always Honest", CE Power provides services ranging from circuit breaker testing/maintenance/repair, to transformer replacement/repair/maintenance, to high voltage relay testing/replacement/calibration/verification. With a team of former utility personnel and veteran experts in the industry, CE Power is unparalleled in the depth and breadth of expertise offered to the industry. With the implementation of the Graduate Apprenticeship Program (GAP), CE Power has committed to helping bridge the gap of talent in the industry to help bring up the "next generation of power professionals". CE Power is EEO, NETA/IEEE/OSHA/MSHA certified and ISNetworld/MICCS/PICS compliant.
JOB SUMMARY: The Power Engineer is responsible for performing engineering activities in the field under the supervision of the Engineering Manager, Project Manager and/or General Manager. This includes technical and engineering support of field work, and office work performing design and generating reports. The level I Power Engineer will be assigned to experienced engineers for extensive on-the-job training with the intent to develop the necessary skills to become an industry leading power engineer and the ability to lead projects both in the office and in the field.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to be an effective power engineer. Focused training efforts under the guidance of senior engineers may be required to gain full competency in these duties. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Develop the skills to provide technical capabilities for testing relays, circuit breakers, transformers, motor control equipment, and related switchgear in the field, including synch check, point-to-point
2. In conjunction with the oversight of senior engineers, develop skills to support the sales effort assisting with estimates and job walks when necessary
3. Remain current on all safety and technical training
4. Perform updates to client electrical drawings including one lines, wiring diagrams, and schematics – to the extent that familiarity with AutoCAD is desirable.
5. Collect field data and perform arc flash studies, coordination studies and short circuit analysis (load flow analysis, grounding & lightning protection studies, infrared scans, etc.)
6. Develop the skills to provide technical insight with regard to substation systems and electrical power systems
7. Adhere to all company, industry and client safety protocols and standards
8. Assess project specific resource needs and coordinate assignments with project manager. Communicate core technical job requirements.
9. Support immediate supervisor on planning and organizing workload to ensure the most effective return on assets
10. Initiate plans and processes which minimize project costs through effective utilization of manpower, equipment, facilities, and materials. Assure attainment of business objectives and production schedules while ensuring product standards that will exceed our customer’s expectations.
11. Coordinate with the Engineering Project Manager on the master engineering resource schedule as well as forecasting upcoming engineering requirements/needs including non-job related training schedules
12. Learn to oversee projects from start to finish for compliance with Company standard practices and procedures
13. Manage expenses against project budgets and make recommendations to reduce expenses.
14. Coordinate proper project handoff between sales and operations/engineering.
15. Participate in Project Kickoff meetings to discuss in detail work scope, project specifications, budgets, schedules, and safety requirements with project team
16. Effectively communicate with other departments to assure activities are properly coordinated.
17. Ensure timely and accurate invoicing for all engineering projects by providing all paperwork in a like manner; these include Service Acknowledgement Forms (SAFs), weekly time keeping, documentation of change orders, test reports, and other documents as required by the project deliverables.
18. Consult and coordinate as necessary to utilize suppliers with the capabilities to meet material and equipment needs for shop and field activities. Responsible for expediting and resolving issues regarding material and equipment availability.
19. Oversee all required documentation and records related to assigned projects on file in the proper location for reference and backup.
PERFORMANCE FACTORS: The performance factors described here are core abilities that translate into desired on-the-job behaviors which contribute to the employee successfully carrying out the assigned duties and responsibilities of this job.
Adaptability: Shows resilience in the face of changing circumstances and shifting priorities; works well under stress and pressure and is not easily discouraged. A great amount of learning is on the job with experienced co-workers and managers, handling criticism is essential to employee growth.
Acumen: Work effectively with company and customer organizational structures and builds alliance with people at all organizational levels. Establishes and prioritizes goals and objectives on a project and personal level. Anticipates the reactions and positions of others accurately; involves the right people and resources at the right time. Directs and manages projects on time and on budget to the satisfaction of the customer.
Customer Satisfaction: Builds productive relationships with customers in order to build customer loyalty. Able to identify or anticipate customer needs. Keeps commitments to customers and regularly sets standards to exceed expectations. Encourages and uses customer feedback to improve services. Adheres to customer required policies and procedures.
Critical Thinking: Examines information, facts, and data, and draws logical conclusions from available information. Thinks under pressure and acts prudently concerning the safety of others.
Organizing and Planning: Effectively manages multiple priorities and properly identifies issues requiring immediate attention from those that are less urgent. Develops project plans, orders resources and materials, holds job kick off meetings, and is able to identify changes in work scopes. Submits all required paperwork and time sheets to promote proper project control, customer deliverables, and proper billing.
Dedication: Sets high personal and professional standards; takes the initiative regarding job functions and responsibilities; able to stick to a task or pursue a goal over the long-term.
Communications: Communicates effectively one to one, and in small groups. Employee is able to articulate complex thoughts clearly, effectively and in a professional manner. Provide written reports for customer submittals, and project status for management. Effectively and consistently communicate all scheduling weekly and schedule changes immediately.
Collaboration: Works effectively with others in order to achieve meaningful results and maintains positive working relationships. Actively participates in solving problems, making decisions, completing tasks and accomplishing goals.
Mechanically Inclined: Hands-on and willingly gets “hands dirty” in substation and power plant/manufacturing environments.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
The position is considered to have light physical demands that require the incumbent to communicate orally, hear at a conversational level and perform job tasks requiring the use of a telephone, fax, and computer.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to perform keying functions, grasp and pinch to write. The employee will frequently (34-66% of the workday) be required to sit, walk and stand. Occasionally (6-33% of the workday), the employee will be required to bend, twist/turn, reach out, lift/carry and push and pull. The employee infrequently (2-5% of the workday) will be required to squat/kneel and climb. The employee is required to infrequently (2-5% of the workday) lift and carry up to 21-50 pounds and will frequently (34-66% of the workday) be required to lift and carry 11 to 20 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly subject to various job site environments. The flooring is mostly concrete, tile or wood. The temperatures at the customer locations can vary between 20-100 degrees. The use of safety equipment can include safety shoes and glasses, hard hat and other job specific personal protective equipment. The noise level of the work environment can vary from low to high (requiring hearing protection). Travel requirements will make it necessary to drive a car (day and/or night) and at times travel by air. This position can require up to 80% travel – particularly where the element of the on-site training is involved.
1. Experience: Prefer any related experience in power, but will train
2. Reasoning Development: Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form; deal with problems involving several concrete variables.
3. Mathematical Development: Ability to add, subtract, and divide all units of measure. Able to perform computations involving power.
4. Language Development: Ability to read company manuals and reports, workplace rules and procedures; speak with poise and confidence, using correct English.
5. Work authorization: US citizen or green card
6. Education: BSEE, prefer study emphasis in power, EIT a plus.
RECENT COLLEGE GRADUATE CANDIDATES
CE Power will provide new graduates with training opportunities prior to deployment into on the job training as a Power Engineer. This may require the candidate spend several months at different CE Power locations in order to gain an understanding of the products and services. The training will include orientation to operations process discipline, assisting the Operations Manager, working with the sales team, assisting with best practices, and development and maturation of the ongoing training process. It is CE Power’s intention to provide the best possible training to recent graduates so that they may best succeed both technically and commercially.
To apply, please contact:
Office: 513.719.2081 Fax: 513.887.0842
Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 | 865-974-1000
The flagship campus of the University of Tennessee System