Dec 3, 2020
Oak Ridge, TN, US, 37831
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
The Technology Integration Group at Oak Ridge National Laboratory is seeking a highly motivated [SA1] scientist to research, design, and deploy capabilities for next-generation leadership computing systems. The successful candidate should have a deep understanding of one or more of the following:
- Processor architectures (e.g., CPU, GPU, FPGA)
- Memory architectures (e.g., DRAM, DDR, HBM, persistent memories)
- Interconnects (e.g., electrical, optical, various topologies)
- Storage hierarchy (e.g., Flash, NVMe, HDD, tape)
This position is part of the Advanced Technologies Section within the National Center for Computational Sciences (NCCS) Division.
The Advanced Technologies Section offers scientific, technical, operational, and thought leadership by developing, hardening, and deploying solutions for compute and data intensive computing environments.
The NCCS provides state-of-the-art computational and data science infrastructure, coupled with dedicated technical and scientific professionals, to accelerate scientific discovery and engineering advances across a broad range of disciplines. NCCS hosts the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility, one of DOE’s National User Facilities. NCCS will deploy an exascale system in 2021.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with internal and external researchers on a wide variety of high-performance computing platform design projects.
- Integrate and deploy research in hardware-software design and configurations for heterogeneous large-scale systems.
- Perform scaling and performance evaluations of modern heterogeneous and extreme-scale high-performance computing systems.
- Research and develop new capabilities that enhance ORNL’s leading data infrastructures.
- Collaborate in authoring peer reviewed papers, technical papers, reports and proposals.
- Perform service including mentoring, participating in conference committees, and maintain membership and leadership in professional, academic, and research organizations.
- M.S. in computer science, computer engineering, computational science, or a related field and 7+ years of experience or equivalent or B.S. in one of these fields and 8+ years of experience.
- Proven ability to analyze, propose, develop, and deploy solutions to existing problems.
- Experience with low-level and/or Linux kernel systems programming.
- Ph.D. in computer science, computer engineering, computational science, or a related field and 2+ years of experience or equivalent
- Excellent interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills, and strong personal motivation.
- Experience with one or more of:
- Working with compute accelerators and heterogeneous node and system architectures,
- Hierarchical memory architectures and/or storage class memories,
- High-performance interconnects, and/or
- Heterogeneous system design and deployment.
- Experience with modern software development practices.
This position requires access to technology that is subject to export control requirements. Successful candidates must be qualified for such access without an export control license.
ORNL Ethics and Conduct
As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL’s Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director’s office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
Benefits at ORNL
UT Battelle offers an exceptional benefits package to include matching 401K, Pension Plan, Paid Vacation and Medical / Dental plan. Onsite amenities include Credit Union, Medical Clinic and free Fitness facilities.
UT Battelle offers a wide range of relocation benefits for individuals and families to make it easier to come and work here. If you are invited to interview, please ask your Recruiter about relocating with ORNL.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.