Dec 11, 2020
Oak Ridge, TN, US, 37831
Oak Ridge National Laboratory
The Technology Integration Group at Oak Ridge National Laboratory is seeking a highly motivated HPC Systems Engineer to develop and deploy capabilities for next-generation leadership computing systems.
This position is part of the Advanced Technologies Section within the National Center for Computational Sciences (NCCS) Division. The Advanced Technologies Section offers scientific, technical, operational, and thought leadership by developing, hardening, and deploying solutions for compute and data intensive computing environments.
The NCCS provides state-of-the-art computational and data science infrastructure, coupled with dedicated technical and scientific professionals, to accelerate scientific discovery and engineering advances across a broad range of disciplines. NCCS hosts the Oak Ridge Leadership Computing Facility, one of DOE’s National User Facilities. NCCS will deploy an exascale system in 2021.
This position will be responsible for assisting in problem analysis and designing a solution as well as the implementation, validation, and deployment of new capabilities for existing and future NCCS programs and projects.
- Assist in problem analysis and solution design
- Lead the implementation, validation, and deployment of successful solutions
- Collaborate with a diverse team of system architecture researchers and developers within NCCS and across DOE Labs, partner universities and the community
- Support researchers in System Architecture, AI, and Edge computing research fields
- M.S. in computer science or a related field and 4+ years of experience or equivalent or B.S. in one of these fields and 5+ years of experience.
- Experience with low-level and/or Linux kernel systems programming.
- 5+ years of software development experience in C, and Python.
- Low-level systems programming experience in C/C++
- Experience with four or more of the following:
- Linux kernel programming
- Kernel bypass programming (e.g., direct access of hardware such as HPC NICs)
- Debugging and profiling
- Communication libraries (e.g., BSD sockets, libfabric, UCX, Portals)
- Concurrent programming via multi-threading
- Concurrent programming via event-driven interfaces
- Distributed programming (e.g., MPI, PGAS/SHMEM)
- Accelerator offload programming (e.g., GPU)
- Experience writing system software in a Linux POSIX programming environment.
- Advanced understanding of high-performance networking or distributed computing concepts.
- Proficient analytical and problem-solving skills to contribute creative solutions to problems.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively with system administrators and system programmers, external vendors
- Ability to represent the NCCS and ORNL in public forums such as open source projects and technical conferences.
ORNL Ethics and Conduct
As a member of the ORNL scientific community, you will be expected to commit to ORNL’s Research Code of Conduct. Our full code of conduct, and a statement by the Lab Director’s office can be found here: https://www.ornl.gov/content/research-integrity
Benefits at ORNL
UT Battelle offers an exceptional benefits package to include matching 401K, Pension Plan, Paid Vacation and Medical / Dental plan. Onsite amenities include Credit Union, Medical Clinic and free Fitness facilities.
UT Battelle offers a wide range of relocation benefits for individuals and families to make it easier to come and work here. If you are invited to interview, please ask your Recruiter about relocating with ORNL.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.