- Open the System Preferences
- Select Print and Fax
- Under the left pane, click on the “+” sign
- Select the IP Printer tab.
- For the protocol, select “HP Jet Direct – Socket” to use direct IP printing.
- For the address, put in printername.eecs.utk.edu for direct IP printing (check out the the lists of printers and printer classes for available printers).
- Give whatever name and location you’d like for those fields.
- Select the appropriate driver. To determine the model number, find your desired printer from the lists of printers and printer classes.
- You may have to investigate a little to determine which options are available for the printer you’ve chosen. After that, however, you are finished.
Note: After installing the printer, if test pages or documents do not print properly or at all, do not keep trying to print. Contact EECS IT to check on the status of the printer. Often, someone has submitted a print job that has stalled in the queue, preventing your job from processing. When this job is removed from the queue, all of your jobs will print.
Most EECS Department printers allow access only from within the UT campus network. If you need to print from off-campus, please connect to the UT VPN before trying to print.