The Min H. Kao (MHK) building is maintained by the UT Facilities Services Department in coordination with EECS and CURENT. If you are new to UTK and MHK, please take the time to review information about Emergency Preparedness, Personal Safety, and Occupational Safety (Accidents, Chemical Safety, Fire Safety and Laboratory Safety) at The Campus Safety website and the information below. Registration with UT ALERT is recommended.
Personal Safety Emergencies
If you have a problem that is an immediate threat to personal safety while on campus:
Make a voice telephone call to 911 or the University of Tennessee Police Department (UTPD) Campus Emergency number at 865-974-3111; or 4-3111 (on-campus)..
Both 911 and and 974-3111 are acceptable to call for on-campus emergencies. The 974-3111 number goes directly to UTPD dispatch where officers can be immediately sent and UTPD will contact other first responders as needed. 911 will directly dispatch first responders (fire, medical, hazmat) and will contact UTPD and other appropriate police departments. 974-3111 is best if just police are needed and 911 works best for all other types of emergencies.
If making an emergency call from a wireless (cellular) phone:
- Tell the emergency operator the location of the emergency right away.
- Provide the emergency operator with your wireless telephone number, so if the call gets disconnected, the emergency operator can call you back.
Examples of facility problems unrelated to personal safety include loss of electrical power to one or more circuits, loss of heating/cooling, plumbing leaks, and smoke/fire in the mulch beds outside the building.
To report campus facility emergencies (24 hours a day, any day of the year), please call
- Facilities Services "One Call" number at 865-946-7777; or 6-7777 (on-campus).
- If the "One Call" call is not answered call the University of Tennessee Police Department (UTPD) Campus Emergency number at 865-974-3111; or 4-3111 (on-campus).
After contacting Facilities Services or UTPD, please notify the EECS department staff by emailing or by using the Making a Facilities Request form below.
Building Access Problems
- MHK perimeter and interior access must be requested through the EECS or CURENT business offices.
- MHK electronic security (Volcard/magnetic card readers) is controlled by the University of Tennessee Police Department (UTPD) Central Alarm department. If your ID does not open a perimeter or interior door, contact the Central Alarm monitoring center at 865-974-0808; or 4-0808 (on-campus). A UTPD officer will come to your location, check your UT ID, verify that you have access, and open the door.
- Report problems with key and magnetic swipe card access using the Making a Facilities Request form below.
Audio Visual (A/V) Problems
- The Office of Information Technology provides rapid response during business hours for UT Registrar-controlled classrooms. This includes MHK Classroom Wing rooms 404, 405, 406, 534, 535, 622 and 623. Contact 865-974-9110; or 4-9110 (on-campus) at the earliest sign of trouble. A dedicated staff of engineers will quickly respond to the request. Reference: Technology Enhanced Classrooms Troubleshooting Tips for SMART Board and Sympodium
- For problems with classrooms, teaching labs, conference rooms inside the MHK main building contact the EECS IT staff at 865-974-2735.
Facility Maintenance Services
Like tenants in an apartment complex, EECS department and CURENT personnel cannot directly modify building components such as floors, walls, ceilings, lighting, electrical outlets, heating/air conditioning equipment, plumbing, furniture, signage, and wired and wireless networking. Planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance of MHK is the sole responsibility of the UT Facilities Services Department. Services provided by Facilities Services are either no-charge or chargeable to the department.
No Charge Services
- Maintenance and repair of building structures and their installed heating, ventilating, air conditioning, electrical, fire protection, conveying, gas, plumbing, and sewer systems
- Maintenance and repair of campus street lighting systems
- Maintenance painting of interior and exterior surfaces when funds are available
- Basic, scheduled custodial services, pest control, refuse collection, disposal, and recycling services
- Maintenance and repair of basic classroom furniture and furnishings, such as window shades and Venetian blinds, seats, lecterns, chalkboards, and white boards
- Utilities services to State general fund supported University facilities
- Maintenance of walks, roads, drainage; care of lawns, gardens, trees, and shrubs
- General architectural and engineering consultation when not in conjunction with special services listed below
Chargeable Services (charge is made to the requesting unit)
- Maintenance and repair of special classroom and laboratory equipment, special lighting or sound systems, office furniture, office furnishings, and other University property under the care of the requesting unit
- Installation of equipment, including marker boards, display cases, flat-panel displays
- Services required to set up for special events
- Renovation, alteration, or improvements to facilities
- Fabrication of cabinets, shelves, and other miscellaneous items
- Estimating of the cost of special projects
- Services of outside architects or engineers required for a special project or an estimate
- Painting or decorating beyond the level provided under basic maintenance budgets
- Special custodial or refuse disposal services
- Design and project management services
- Transfer and hauling services
Making a Facilities Service Request
Please use the web form below for submitting non-emergency facilities requests.
- Your name and email address will be captured by the form upon login.
- If you are a student or visitor, please enter your advisor's or sponsor's name.
- Enter a phone number where you can be reached during business hours (8am-5pm, M-F).
- Enter the specific room number or area that needs service.
- Enter a short description of the type of service that is requested.
- Enter a detailed description of the problem or work to be done.