Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a technology leader that is driving the digital transformation of industries. With a history of innovation spanning more than 130 years, ABB has four customer-focused, globally leading businesses: Electrification, Industrial Automation, Motion,and Robotics & Discrete Automation, supported by the ABB Ability™ digital platform. ABB’s Power Grids business will be divested to Hitachi in 2020. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 147,000 employees. www.abb.com
ABB is seeking a Scientist – Control and Optimization for its Raleigh, North Carolina location. This role is responsible for contributing to our electric system and solution research. The focus of this position would be on development of next generation control and management functions for the electrification and automation businesses.
You’ll work as part of the US team of ABB Corporate Research (USCRC), which shares worldwide research and development responsibility for several important technology areas, including software & control, connected systems, etc.
- Analyze the use cases and customer requirements, specify the functionality, and define the performance matrix of control and management functions for electric system solutions.
- Develop algorithms for the above functions, and prototype/validate these algorithms in appropriate hardware and software platforms, with fitness and commercialization considerations.
- Plan, build and adapt (if necessary) laboratory test setup (hardware and software) for the development.
- Conduct laboratory test, data analytics, and improve/optimize the development.
- Development technical competence for and support ABB electrification business.
- Generate intellectual properties for ABB.
- Create technical reports and presentations.
- Create ideas and proposals and get buy-in from sponsors.
- Travel internationally and work with internal business partners.
- Collaborate with external partners including universities, startups and vendors.
- Represent ABB in professional conferences and other events.
- Perform additional duties, as required.
- Recent PhD graduate (or close to graduation) of industrial, computer or electrical engineering major. Candidates with a Master degree and 3 years working experience will also be considered.
- Experience with electric system (AC, DC and mixed AC-DC) modeling and simulation in commercial real-time simulation platforms (Opal-RT, Typhoon, etc.).
- Familiar with optimization methodologies, including the use of open source or commercial solution packages.
- Experience formulating and solving a mix integer programming (MIP) based optimization problem.
- Programming skills in Python, C/C++, VS Studio and other development platforms.
- Knowledge of electric energy market principles and ledger technologies.
- Experience with distributed energy resource (DER) modeling and control.
- Familiar with SCADA communication protocols and PLC programming.
- Fast leaner as well as an independent, structured, and proactive work style.
- Team player with strong communication skills.
- Strong networking skills matched with natural ability to interact and communicate easily.
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. – 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB’s career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.