HOC Campus – Middlebrook Pike
$56,600.00 to $97,600.00 USD
Equal Employment Opportunity
KNOXVILLE UTILITIES BOARD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
073 Electric Systems Engineering
4505 Middlebrook Pike, Knoxville
40+ hours / week: M – F
The Knoxville Utilities Board (KUB) is one of the largest public utilities in the country providing electric, gas, water and wastewater services to more than 453,000 customers in Knoxville and parts of seven surrounding counties. We exist to serve our customers, improving their quality of life by providing utility services that are safe, reliable and affordable. And our mission is about more than just pipes and wires. It’s about being good stewards of our community’s resources: utility assets, customer dollars, and the environment. We work to safeguard those resources and enhance their value for the people of the communities we serve and generations to come.
Prepare detailed engineering designs for distribution, transmission and fiber communication systems using computer aided design and drafting tools. Oversee projects through the construction and closeout process while maintaining all project documentation. Coordinate with other KUB departments and contractors to meet design and construction deadlines. Perform calculations to ensure adequate design. Develop and use KUB design, material and equipment specifications and assist with long range capital improvement project planning and budgeting. Receive training to perform storm response duties with other department members. Research and advance new technologies such as distribution automation to enhance the electric system performance. Note: For more specific information regarding this position, please contact Human Resources.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited four-year college or university
- Good analytical and project management skills
- Strong written and oral communication, interpersonal, and team skills
- Ability to work independently on projects in a timely manner
- Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft office products
- Have and maintain a valid driver’s license
- Physical Demands: Sedentary work; exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and/or a negligible amount of force frequently to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time in normal office conditions, but does involve walking or standing outside periodically for inspections, customer calls, etc. Work primarily in an office setting but includes routine field work and storm response duties that requires driving a company vehicle and walking on uneven terrain.
The physical demands described above are intended to relate the approximate physical demands of the classification. Physical demands for a specific position within this classification may vary and/ or exceed those demands described above. Additional information regarding specific positions is available in Human Resources.
- Three (3) or more years of experience in electrical engineering, preferably with utilities
- FE/EI certificate or Professional Engineer license in state of Tennessee
- Experience with distribution and/or transmission power line design, street/roadway lighting, TDOT design experience, electric system modeling or system reliability studies
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects
- Experience with Microstation, PLS-CADD, ArcGIS, and ArcMap
Phase 1 Apply online at www.kub.org
Phase 2 Experience, training, and education evaluation
Phase 3 Interview with department representatives
Phase 4 Written, performance, and behavioral exercises
Phase 5 Background investigation
Phase 6 Physical assessment and/or drug screen
If special accommodations are needed at any phase of the selection process, please notify Human Resources in advance.
Only candidates submitting a completed KUB application and completing each component of the selection process will be considered for KUB positions. KUB does not accept unsolicited applications; completed applications are only considered for advertised vacancies. Please no third party inquiries. Due to the volume of applications and resumes we receive, only applicants invited to interview will be contacted. Applicants should apply on all positions of interest. KUB reserves the right to consider applications for additional vacancies in the same classification within 120 days of the original posting, after which time, applicants must reapply to be considered for any application. If KUB is unable to contact the applicant because the information on the application is no longer correct, the application will be considered inactive and the applicant no longer eligible for employment.