The Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science is housed in the Min H. Kao Electrical Engineering and Computer Science Building.
Located on the corner of Cumberland Avenue and Estabrook Road, the impressive $37.5 million structure boasts 150,000 square feet of offices, classrooms, laboratories, conference rooms, a 147-seat auditorium, and a sixth-floor terrace with stunning views of downtown Knoxville.
EECS’ move into the Min H. Kao Building signified the physical merger of the department, which was formed from the computer science and electrical and computer engineering departments in 2007. Previously, the offices and classrooms for EECS had been split between Ferris Hall and the Claxton Complex.
Distinguished alumnus and donor Dr. Min H. Kao and his family came to Knoxville on March 13-14, 2012, to mark the building’s grand opening.
Min H. Kao Building classrooms are managed by the Office of the University Registrar. Technology Enhanced Classrooms are supported by the Office of Information Technology. For technical support or to report problems with equipment, contact the Helpdesk at http://remedy.utk.edu/contact/ or 865-974-9900.
- Room 404 - Classroom (96)
- Room 405 - Classroom (48)
- Room 406 - Classroom (47)
- Room 524 - Classroom (96)
- Room 525 - Classroom (49)
- Room 622 - Auditorium Classroom (147)
- Room 623 - Seminar Room (20)
Student Commons are open to students when the Min H. Kao building is open.
- Room 217 - Daw and Jing Lu Family Student Organization Suite
- Room 355 - Student Commons
- Room 601 - Dr. Don Bouldin Staff Lounge (faculty/staff only)
- Room 602 - Dr. Don Bouldin Faculty Lounge (faculty/staff only)
- Room 646/647 - Commons
Conference rooms are accessible to EECS faculty and staff. Students and others may reserve conference rooms by contacting the EECS business office staff in Min. H. Kao Suite 401 or by calling 865-974-3461.
- Room 118 - Conference Room (16) - Analog phone line, 865-974-0481
- Room 235 - Conference Room (16) - Analog phone line/Polycom, 865-974-4196
- Room 354 - Conference Room (16) - Analog phone line, 865-974-6433
- Room 401D - Main Office Conference Room (10) - Digital speaker phone, 865-974-4739
- Room 434 - Conference Room (16) - Analog phone line/Polycom, 865-974-8990
- Room 435 - James M. McConnell Conference Room (40) - Analog phone line/Polycom, 865-974-0515, Cisco TelePresence System Edge 95 Bridge
- Room 554 - CURENT Conference Room (16)
- Room 639 - Louis A. King Conference Room (12) - Analog phone line/Polycom, 865-974-3842
Computer labs are are available to EECS students, faculty, and staff for instructional and research purposes. Access is restricted to users with EECS accounts.
- Room 416 - Programming Clinic
- Room 418 - Tesla Computer Laboratory
- Room 421 - Hydra Computer Laboratory
Check out the Lab Information page for information about lab resources and availability.
- Room 224 - Digital Systems Laboratory
- Room 225 - Digital Systems Laboratory
- Room 226 - Communications Laboratory
- Room 227 - Power Laboratory
- Room 228 - VLSI Laboratory
- Room 229 - Controls Laboratory
- Room 329 - Electromagnetic Laboratory
- Room 330 - Antenna Laboratory
- Room 331 - J. Frank Pierce Electronics Laboratory
- Room 332 - Circuits Laboratory
- Room 333 - Circuits Laboratory
Senior Design Laboratories
- Room 336 - Senior Design Laboratory
- Room 337 - Senior Design Laboratory
- Room 339 - Senior Design Laboratory
- Room 234 - Imaging, Robotics, and Intelligent Systems Laboratory
- Room 236 - Imaging, Robotics, and Intelligent Systems Laboratory
- Room 338 - James C. Hung Embedded Systems Laboratory
- Room 342 - VLSI Laboratory
- Room 402 - Power IT Laboratory Reception
- Room 402A - Power IT Laboratory Storage
- Room 402B - Power IT Laboratory Suite
- Room 402C - Power IT Laboratory Office
- Room 411 - Power IT Laboratory
- Room 412 - Power IT Laboratory
- Room 530 - CURENT Hardware Testbed
- Room 531 - CURENT Hardware Testbed
- Room 532 - CURENT Staff Offices
- Room 533 - CURENT Hardware Testbed
- Room 534 - SeeLab
- Room 537 - Power Engineering Research Lab
- Room 538 - Analog and Mixed-Signal Integrated Circuit Design Laboratory
- Room 539 - Computer Vision Laboratory
- Room 540 - Analog and Mixed-Signal Integrated Circuit Design Laboratory
- Room 554 - CURENT Conference Room
- Room 555 - CURENT Headquarters
- Room 628 - Microwave and RF Systems Laboratory
- Room 629 - Distributed Intelligence Laboratory
- Room 630 - Machine Intelligence Laboratory
Electronic Parts, Shipping/Receiving, Mechanical Shop
- Room 108 - Electronic Parts Store, Shipping/Receiving
- Room 119 - Mechanical Shop
Print, Copy, FAX, Recycling
Available to EECS faculty/staff, students only. EECS does not offer print, copy and fax services to the UTK public.
- Room 217 - Print
- Room 355 - Print
- Room 401K - Print, copy, FAX, Cintas document shredding
- Room 413 - Center mail room door - Print, copy, Cintas document shredding (EECS Faculty/staff only)
- Room 418 - Tesla Computer Laboratory (CS and ECE courses only)
- Room 421 - Hydra Computer Laboratory (CS and ECE courses only)
- Room 603 - Print, scan, copy, Cintas document shredding (EECS faculty/staff only)
Recycling facilities are available on every floor. A cardboard recycling station is located at the loading dock between Dougherty and Min H. Kao on Estabrook Road.
Recycle old computers, printers, electronics, and batteries at the EECS Parts Store in Room 108.
- Room 338A - Cash or Credit Card for snacks. VolCard or Credit Card available for drinks.